Sunday, January 11, 2009

Blood Oranges, Sheet Wars and Resolution Revolution

I bought blood oranges yesterday at Whole Foods in Memphis just for the sheer novelty of them. I figured if I could show the kids an orange's fruit that resembled blood then they would be more likely to consume something other than carbs and sugar. Sure enough hacking into an orange that looked like a crime scene piqued my sweet, well-adjusted children's interest. They dove right in and ate away.
Lesson: Pick produce that looks freshly murdered for good nutrition.

Do you have a spouse or significant other who has irrational rationales for doing things? Show of hands, please... Well, Super Steve likes to sleep on top of the sheet which drives me crazy. He says the sheet is not soft enough to go over his body but ignores the fact that it is still touching his body by sleeping on top of it. Is his front side more sensitive than his back? Or is he is CRAZY? What's up with that reasoning? He refuses to pull the sheet over him because it's scratchy (it's not! It's super soft cotton that's been washed one million times and is soft as a lamb's ear) but he can sleep on top of it with no problem. Huh?
Lesson: No lesson. I married a freak.

I'm posting my 2009 resolutions on Jan. 11 cause I'm a rebel like that.
1. Put the top sheet over Super Steve in the middle of the night for an experiment.
2. By more bloody produce.
3. Host a brunch this spring or summer before it gets too hot.
4. Eat more fruits and vegetable. Healthy choices.
5. Have more fun.
6. Pursue more creative interests like painting, photography, writing.
7. Work on being less impatient.
Lesson: No real lesson other than I am still incredibly optimistic this time of year. I think that's good for an old gal.

2 comments:

Lisa Melton said...

Good post Lisa Lisa! I have NEVER heard of blood oranges... are you sure that is not made up? kidding... I like your resolutions and optimism. I need some of that.

Keetha said...

This is the perfect time for optimism.